Thursday, June 10, 2010

Preparing for the Car

Since I live on an apartment building, I'll have to build the car in the underground parking space. I first talked with parking space neighbours to tell them about my intentions and get their OK. Then I got quotes for an insurance, just in case I damaged the neighbours cars during the build. The last step was to get a permit (valid from March 2010 to March 2012) to build the car on the parking lot, since it was against building regulations.

With this out of the way, I sorted all the kit car manufacturers that advertised a bike engined car and contacted the three that seemed to have what I wanted at the right price. Aries Motorsport was one of these three and the one providing the fastest and most satisfying answers to my emails.

It was the middle of April and I was still wondering why there were such big price differences between kit manufacturers and feeling awkward to buy a car without seeing it. I heard of the Stoneleigh Kit Car show and the wife and I booked the weekend to visit it.

Aries Motorsport wasn't going to be at the show this year but Steve Huckerby was very kind and opened up on the Saturday evening to show us around and talk a bit. He also took us for a ride on the demonstration car, which was amazing!

The next day we went to see the kit car show, where I got to talk with other kit car manufacturers previously out of my list about selling me a kit with a bike engine. I also got to see some of the differences between kits, meet the people from the companies and checking their willingness to help and provide a nice service.

Back to Portugal, I followed by email on some of the talks I had so that I could make a final decision and order the kit...

No comments:

Post a Comment