Saturday, October 23, 2010

Rear Uprights On The Car

Started the work session with a grinding tip on my driller to enlarge the suspension support bracket hole. After some 30m of grinding, trying to fit, removing suspension arm and repeating, it got done.

Next step was to fit the hub carrier on the suspension arms. It seemed pretty hard to make it all fit but then I thought about putting some lithium grease and that helped. The upright was in place and I read again Steve's email to be sure of the following step. And although Steve wrote twice that I should be sure I was putting the hub carrier with the straight side and the caliper support holes to the front, I did it wrong. So, I had to remove the hub carrier from the suspension arm. This all was 30m more.

Fought with the correct hub carrier on that arm but wasn't able to get it in. So I went to the other side and did the other one in around half-hour, including fitting the outer c/v joint. I had to put some wood as support bellow otherwise the arms would go down on the hub weight and the outer c/v seemed to be in strain against the lower suspension arm.

I then went back to the driver's side (left side) and gave another go fitting the hub carrier on the suspension. It was harder than the right side but it eventually got hammered into place and that side got done too.
The 2€ rubber mallet I bought on the chinese shop is proving to be one of the most helpful tools on my tool-stand. I can hammer stuff around without damaging anything (aside from the mallet itself). I did damaged a bit the thread on one of the rods that hold the lower part of the hub in place. It will put on a fight now to screw the nut into place.
I still haven't screwed any nuts in. I'm still wondering if I should put "loctite" or not, since all the nuts have nylocs.

No comments:

Post a Comment