Saturday, September 29, 2012

Finish Off Fuel Lines, Water Temp Sensor, Disassembling

I had two pipe entries on my tank that I didn't know how to close. One seemed to be just to let air in, the other was the return in case I had an injected engine. But how should I close them to prevent gas from coming out when sloshed around?

A fellow builder told me one entry should be blanked with a bit of pipe terminated with a bolt. The other required a roll-over valve. After much looking around in Portugal, had to order it from the UK. RaceParts had the best deal (Part No TPV8). With that here, some pipe, bracers and a bolt (and a lot more time than I thought) and it was all done. The valve is too near the roll-bar stay so I added a bit of bubble wrap on the stay and held the valve against it with a plastic wrap.
Next thing was to try to make a good earth for the water temp sensor. The sensor has been reading "0ยบ C" since day one. The casing did not have a point to add an earth. So I wrapped some wire (eye-style) around the sensor thread and connected the other side to a bolt that holds the rad against the chassis. Turned the Digidash on and finally I have a temperature reading for the water!
Now I just need to figure out why I get no oil pressure. That one has a earth on the casing that holds it and the oil temperature sensor, that is giving a reading.

Using the vice-grip I rotated one of the steering arms to get both with the same number of threads exposed (counting from the ball-joint). Although I'll have to get a toe measurement and adjustment, at least having them equal is better than one pointing inwards when the other goes in front... Went around with the mobile's inclinometer app on the wheels and seems all have less than one degree of camber. Either the mobile is not sensitive enough to measure this or I'll just have to adjust toe in all four wheels.

Last tasks were disassembling things. Took and stored away the exhaust can. Unbolted the seats. This opens up my path to the next tasks, putting the prop-catchers, p-clips and rivnuts on the central tunnel. But after 4 hours I needed a break.

No comments:

Post a Comment