Monday, December 10, 2012

Poor Man's Rivnut Tool

Went on the net looking for videos showing how to properly use a rivnut tool, to see where I went wrong. A vid's title makes me look for home made tools... And I end up with a recipe for a home made rivnut tool. What I saw was this forum post but ended up doing a mix between that and this how-to.

So, I grabbed a bolt, a nut, a washer and a rivnut. Inserted the lot on a hole in some plate, tried to hold down the nut while spinning the bolt.
It didn't work out for a couple of reasons. The first was that the nut was 7 and the wrench was 8. I only had 8 or 6... Also, the bolt had a rounded head with a Philips cut, not the best to put pressure on.

Found a different bolt with an hexa head, a bit longer. With the dremmel and a grinding disk, "converted" my 6 wrench into a 7. Another try, this time holding down the bolt and rotating the nut...
Success! It probably is not perfect, but looks good enough. It takes a lot longer than using a rivnut tool but at least I don't have to spend more money nor grieve over the fact that shops don't ship here or prices are abnormal. And I don't have to wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment