Monday, September 12, 2011

Fuel Circuit Done! (And Other Bits)

Today, being on vacation and with the kid at school, I had almost 6 hours to work on the car, interrupted only by lunch. I'll cover both work sessions on the same post as if they were one.

The gas tank was ready to go on the car and that was my first task. Placed the fuel sender on the previously drilled hole and then applied 6 rivets to hold it in place. Did not put the recently acquired Nural stuff on it since, after reading the small letters, it should be used in replacement of rubber seals; the sender had a rubber seal.

Once in the car, marked the drilling spots and drilled tank supports and chassis. When I grabbed the bolts and washers, noticed the washers were quite large and two of the drilled holes were too close to the tank wall for the washers, so I re-drilled and bolted the tank down.

Spent some time cleaning the floor of all the ally and steel bits from that drilling session (and previous ones) with a broom. After that I attached the rubber pipe from the tank to the copper pipe that runs along the car. I had to lay on the floor, hence the time previously spent cleaning... After taking the picture I tied the pipe to the chassis with a plastic strap, to be more certain it will not run on the road. (EDIT: 2012/09/29 - I should have cut 12cm of pipe from what was provided because it was too much and later on I needed that to close of the tank)
After lunch break, grabbed my Haynes CBR manual and looked where I should attach the throttle cable. It said I should take the carbs off the engine head, but that was a task I didn't look forward too. After 30m fiddling with tools and cable on a (very) tight space, I managed to hook the cable in place without taking the carbs off! Very happy with that. To close the fuel circuit, attached the tubes that leave the fuel pump to the copper line and to the carbs intake. Again, it helped to have the Haynes manual. It was also very helpful to have all tubes labeled by Steve from Aries. As usual, great job of him that made my life easier! Tied the pump to the chassis with a couple of cable ties and the job was done.
Next I grabbed the nosecone, scuttle and engine cover and trial fitted it all. First the cone and scuttle, holding it to the chassis with masking tape, to avoid more damage as I did previously. Then the engine cover, which required moving the scuttle a bit. This allowed me to mark the definitive place where the bulkhead will sit. It also gave me the chance to take the great picture bellow! Marked the correct location for the bulkhead so that I could remove it for further cutting.
Stored away the fiberglass parts and spent a load of time marking on the bulkhead where to cut to be able to put the throttle peddle. Closed the day with the bulkhead marked but uncut. More dremmel action soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment