Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Nosecone Grill and Attaching Wingstays

Another night shift on the car (from 22h45 to 00h30). And got some goals archived!

First task was to drill holes on the nosecone to attach the grill to it. Using the dremmel and a 1mmØ drill bit, punched 6 holes on the nosecone. Cut 6 bits of steel wire 7cm long and bent them in a U shape. Then it was just putting one "leg" through the hole, the other through the outside of the cut hole and twisting it together. Bellow a detail of one twisted inside and the grill attached. Later on I'll get to paint the wires...
Back on the car, attached the two bolts that I had left drying last Monday night. Before bolting them down, put some Nural 50 on them. Then removed the ones I did Monday to add Nural 50.

Afterwards, attached the wingstays to the uprights. This task consists of tightening 3 bolts, having each one 2 spring-washers and 2 nuts that hold onto the upright and to the stay, effectively ensuring that not only the bolt doesn't come out of the upright but also that the distance to the tire is correct.

This took me around one hour. The first one was hardest because I was trying to figure out how to reach the nuts to tighten them, so I spent 40m on it. The second one was a lot faster to get done; experience is priceless! The picture shows the upright on the front left wheel.
Doing these night shifts not only got the car build going again as also are giving me a morale boost. Very happy with this!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting way to mount the grill. My car has the grill with four "legs" or post the goes thru the fiberglass holes and have metal clips that hold it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grill had those "legs" too. But since I had cut the fiberglass too near the border, I had no space to drill holes to put the legs through. So I cut the "legs" with the dremmel.
      I just hope the wire doesn't cut through the fiberglass ;)

      Delete