Monday, February 13, 2012

Refurbishing Bolts and Preparing Grill

Spaz had alerted me to the fact that the paint should be dry by now. And he was right! ;)
After three weekends in a row where other stuff got in the way and I couldn't work on the car, I was really frustrated. So, today I did a bit of work between 22h30 and 00h10. I hope the noise did not bother anyone (since there are 3 stores between the one I was working in and the first with apartments).

When I assembled the front brakes, the bolts that hold the calipers against the uprights were not reconditioned. They were quite rusty but I bolted them anyway. This has been in the back of my mind as something I should not have done. So, started by taking out a bolt on each side and scrub it with the driller and a steel scrub tip. After that, stuck them on a piece of cardboard and painted them black. After the paint dried, I bolted them back and took the other two. This was when I took the "before and after" picture below.
Scrubbed and painted the 2nd set of bolts and left them to dry.

While the paint on the first set of bolts was drying, I looked into fitting the front grill on the nosecone. Steve had told me how he usually does it, but when I asked I had already cutted the nosecone hole and Steve's way was no longer possible. So I was thinking about marking some spots to drill holes and fix the grill with plastic straps, as I believe MK does.
With the dremmel, cut the fixing feet off the grill, so now it sits perfectly on the nosecone. Did not get around to drill the holes, but in a way it was better. The idea that the plastic straps could get cut by the fiberglass was not conforting. And in the mean time I decided to use a bit of steel wire to tie the grill, also using holes. I can later paint the wire black and all. Something to do next time.

It was great to be back on the car!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spaz, it was more than an update. It was a comeback! And, in a way, you contributed to it by reminding me how long had passed and that are people really following this build!
    Thank you for reading and supporting!

    ReplyDelete