Saturday, November 12, 2011

Moving Parts and Making Holes

Had some time today and started by following the suggestion made by David on the comments of my previous post. He said that the rectified couldn't stay on the bulkhead otherwise it would overheat and fail. If that happens in the UK, imagine with the 35ยบ+ temperatures we have in Portugal during the summer...

So I had to unstrap and move the electronic control unit, then made some holes on the engine cradle and bolted the rectifier there. Some cable tidy up and it was done. This move means I can also move the battery to the front of the passenger footwell, next to the engine. It's a lot better in terms of weight balance. Although it means my previous battery strap is garbage. Took measures for a new strap. The picture shows things in their new places.
Then I tried to bolt the coil packs to the provided mounts. I don't have any metal plates to hold them, as it seems others have. My idea was to use long bolts with several nuts to bolt the packs on the mounts. Turns out I failed to measure the distance between bolts and it turns out this fails. So I ended up taking measures to later on fabricate some ally supports. Nice I bought that sheet of aluminium...

Last task was to drill holes for the coil pack supports to be made, to rivet the horn and to rivet (or should I bolt?) one of the earth terminations on the loom that I can't make reach any of the bolts around there.

No comments:

Post a Comment