Saturday, March 31, 2012

First "First Start" Attempt - Fail

Today was my first "first start" attempt. I was pretty convinced it wouldn't start first time, but was hoping to be wrong. In the morning bought 2 litres of super 95 to put on the tank.

First task was connecting the Digidash looms to the car's main loom. It was quite easy, although I haven't connected the lights related ones (but then, I don't have lights yet). Then I connected the battery and tried to turn the key from off to on. The Digidash sprung to life and the fuel pump started to pump (quite loudly, actually). I turned it all off immediately and went to get the wife, that wanted to film the attempt.

Back with the wife, the kid and a friend, I poured the 2 litres on the tank, jacked up the rear wheels (brakes still don't work) and we attempted the first start. It failed. Eventually the wife and kid went back outside for him to ride his bike, the friend stayed with me trying to figure it out.

* The battery reads on the multimeter 12,48v either standing or with the Digidash and pump working;
* The pump makes loads of noise but there is no fuel going on the carbs. We disconnected the pipe that goes from pump to carbs and it was blowing (not sucking) air, but no fuel was coming out. My friend believes I need to put more petrol on the tank, that the circuit is full of air and not able to prime itself;
* When we turn the key to start the engine, there is a "click" coming from somewhere near the engine (ignition module? rectifier?) and then everything turns off. Like if a fuse had blown. And only after waiting some minutes we can attempt turning it on again. We don't hear the starter engine trying to fire the car up.

My friend had to go away, I stayed behind cleaning and packing up and came back home.

And as I was writing the above, it struck me!!! I can't start a bike engine if it is in gear without the clutch down. Could it be from that? I believe the car is in some gear since I tried to put it in gear when I was bolting down the diff. And I've tried to take it out of gear but unsuccessfully, it seems. Next time, with more fuel, I'll try it again.

Next tasks... Disconnect the pump and take some time to configure the Digidash with the tank empty so that it learns what an empty tank is. Confirm what dials and buttons I'll have on my dash, make up my mind as how to place them and then cut the dash. Fit the magnets on the prop shaft and craft a support for the speed sensor. Trim, drill and rivet the rear firewall so that I can then put in the seats and belts. Prime the brake system. Oh! And try to start the engine again... Lots to choose from!

Trying to start the car, but it just "click"'s
From HappyBlade

The Digidash powers up and acts like a Xmas tree!
From HappyBlade

No comments:

Post a Comment