Sunday, March 8, 2015

Action Camera and Fixes

Objective:

Had a very short list of tasks to attempt today. First was to brace the support for an action camera that I bought, in preparation for the next track day. It came with lots of accessories. After some trials, decided which ones to use and held the cam in place. It has a wifi functionality that allows me to control it (start and stop recording) from my mobile phone. The card holds around 4h20 of video. More than enough!

Then tried to fix the fog light that would not light up. After some fiddling, turns out it was just a bad contact. Bent one of the contacts the bulb sits in a bit to make more pressure over the bulb and success!

Moved on to the rear right stop that does not light up. The bulb has 2 filaments and the presence one lights up. With the presence lit, unconnected wires and connected the wire that leads to the brake filament to the loom's presence wire. It lit up. So, the problem is neither the bulb nor the terminal I crimped on the light pod wire. I'll have to study the wiring schematics and see where to test next. For now, I'll be on the track with just the left-side stop light.

Tried to inflate the tires with a new pump I got that connects to a car lighter. Since the car has no lighter, I also got an adapter to a 220v socket. Turns out that adapter blew after being in use for 5s. For an euro and a half, shipping included, from China... You get what you pay for. So, tires still need air and I'll have to do it later, when I have the tintop around.

Since when the car last weekend was on the ramp, I checked underneath to see if any propshaft bolt was coming lose. All was tight and nice, so I don't have to do that in preparation for the next track day.

Fired up the car and took it for two laps on the merry-go-round to test the camera. Regarding the wheels, I don't feel any difference in this short drive but the wheels no longer sound like rubber sliding when cornering slow. Must be a good sign!
After this, it was mostly pack up and call it a day. For the next track day I just need to check the tires' pressure, check the oil and water levels and put more gas... Well... Maybe still look again into the brake light. And try to configure the Digidash properly...

On the legalisation front, the contact I got provided me with their partner for that type of work. They guaranteed no issues with importing the car. Steve at Aries already told me when he is available to receive the car. Need to find a company to transport the car to the UK. I'm starting to believe I'll be able to drive my car on the streets to go to the track day that will happen in September...

No comments:

Post a Comment