Sunday, January 23, 2011

Many Small Tasks

Had more car time this weekend than usual, although I didn't spend it all on the car. And not all went well, but it was a great weekend anyway!

Saturday drove around with tires and wheels on the car to get the tires fitted. Took the kid with me as he is growing a love for repair shops, tools and the likes. We got too much traffic going to the shop I wanted, tried another that refused to fit tires not bought there and the 3rd we went to was already closed for lunch. So, tires still to be fitted, I hope I have more luck next weekend. Was going to take care of it on Sunday but the shop I wanted to go to closed at 13h00, although the website says 20h00...

Sunday had some time in the early morning. Assembled the coils on the shocks and got them ready to go on the car!
Then hammered the wheel studs on the rear flanges. It took so much effort to pull them in that I don't know if I would ever had enough strength to get them into place with the nut and spanner. Then I assembled the flanges and c/v inner joints on the uprights and the rear part is also ready to go on the car!
I then grabbed the scrubby bit for the driller and scrubbed the rust away from the steering column. Also cleaned it and got it ready for a lick (or better, a spray) of paint. Did it together with the 2nd coat on the ally panel for the passenger footwell. The column is good enough with just one coat and so is ready to go on the car. The panel requires a 2nd coat on the other side and then it's ready to go on the car too!
Went around unpacking disk brakes just to look at them and looked at parts I'll be using soon.

In the evening had some more car time. But controlled my urge to go fit parts on the car and did something I had been postponing for too long. When the car came, I saved the wood floor from the crate, to be cut for firewood. I stored it on the hall of the storage rooms, but it's an area shared with neighbours. I had a circular saw but got afraid to use it so the crate floor was still there, after 6 months... Last weekend I bought a jigsaw and 65mm wood blade and aluminium blade. The idea was to use it to cut the crate floor and also several openings on the ally panels (throttle pedal, manifold, hand brake, etc). I have to say it was a wonderful buy. It didn't look like it was going to chop a part of me off and in 2 hours I had the crate floor in bits. Some are still too big for the fireplace but I'll chop them later. Important is that the crate floor is no longer on the shared area!

Since my next tasks on the car don't require using power tools and will not cause noise, I'm hoping to work a bit one of these nights again!

No comments:

Post a Comment