Sunday, October 2, 2011

Throttle Peddle in Place!

Did not have much time and spent it all around the throttle peddle and the bulkhead. Drilled the peddle for the cable to hold on (forgot about that last session). Then marked on the peddle where I should drill for the bolts and drilled that. Lost a bit of extra time since I still can't figure out the drill bit diameter by looking at the bolt. So drilled the 4 holes with the 3,5Ømm, then enlarged with the 4,75Ø and ended up enlarging again with the 6Ø for the correct size...

Having the peddle drilled, placed the bulkhead on the car and fixed it with masking tape. Marked using the peddle holes where to drill there. It was all positioned in a way that ensured two of the wholes would be on a chassis bar, to stiffen the peddle attachment. After marking, when I was about to drill, the wife and kid arrived from the playground. He wanted to help me using my gear. After properly geared, he pressed the driller trigger while I held it in place. He drilled the 4 holes (except the final bit on the two that went through the chassis, when the drill bit sometimes gets stuck).
He then left and I just had to bolt it all up and connect the cable. I then sat on the car pressing the peddles and testing it all. It really is a tight squeeze on the peddle area, specially because I like chunky footwear. I will probably have to buy some "All-Stars" or karting boots to drive the car. And really considering a trick on the footwell suggested by a cousin, to give me a couple more centimeters. I might also have to make a new hole for the cable a bit lower. Since the current one is too high, the peddle is sensitive (travels half the distance that my tin-top one travels)...
As visible on the pictures, I spent a bit of time during the week spray painting the bulkhead black. It's far from perfect, but looks a bit nicer than raw ally.

IMPORTANT NOTE TO RHD builders: I can have the throttle peddle in that position because the right side has the 2 holes on the chassis tube that makes the top of the tunnel. RHD builders must position the peddle as further back as needed to be able to bolt the two back holes to the horizontal chassis tube, since there is no outer tube available to bolt the any of the sides to. Failing to bolt two holes to the chassis will make the bulkhead ally flex every time the peddle is pressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment