Monday, May 21, 2012

Completing Tasks: Airbox, Dashboard...

First thing I did was to clean with some absorbent paper all the brake pipe joins. Then I tightened up a bit all those joints. My idea was to later on press the brake peddle a few times and go around the joints with clean paper to check if there is still any leaking.

Then I tried to fit the hand-brake cable. Since the rear brakes have been bled (even if not perfectly), I can now use the handbrake. That would provide me with some braking power I would have more confidence in and also allow me to take the wooden beams from under the wheels that prevent the car from sliding. Unfortunately, after some time mocking around with it, I guess there is something I don't understand. I can't fix the cable the way it seems to make sense, on the lever and tunnel. I should have looked to pictures before attempting the task. Left this one unfinished.
Two weeks ago I drilled a second hole on the throttle peddle because it was too sensitive. The new hole was "spongy". So I drilled a third hole, between the previous two. Also had tightened the peddle's pivot bolt and it was to tight, since it didn't "balance" naturally, so I undid the nut a turn or two to give it free movement. I'm sure now, between the three holes, one will be adequate.
For this hole I had bought 2 2mmØ HSS drill bits with cobalt tip (they have been great on other tasks) and used the driller instead of the dremel, since it can spin slower and thus save the drillbit from overheating damage. Managed to brake both drillbits making that hole...

Based on the electrical schematics, connected two cables from the car loom to the Digidash loom. Also tidied up a bit the cables, fuses and relays in the scuttle area. Then connected cables to the dash and fitted the dash on the car. It's covered with bubble-wrap to prevent damage and held on the car with masking tape and clamps, but it now allows driving around with the completed dashboard!
I have been modifying the original CBR airbox. There were a couple of reasons for this. First was that to reduce it's height I had to swap it around and the intake pipes where hitting the engine cradle beam. Second was me looking for a way to ensure cold air was taken to the intake pipes. Initially I hoped that the airbox swapped around would fit under the bonnet... So I fitted the nosecone and the bonnet. Without airbox, the bonnet is just one finger thickness away from the 1st carb intake...
OK, I'll have to cut the bonnet for sure. So I fitted the airbox (without the intake pipes) in the new swapped position and then the bonnet again. It really will protrude. I'll need an air scoop to cover the hole, probably from a Mitsubishi L200 or similar.
To finish this off, fitted the intake pipes on the airbox and stored away the nosecone and bonnet.
Last bit on the day was to pump the brake peddle a few times and then go around the pipes with the paper. Only three connections presented me with a small stain on the paper. I had stored the tools already so I didn't tighten those a bit more. Will get around to that later. But at least its reassuring that with proper tightening I can have a working brake circuit and I haven't messed up!

Things are looking like I can drive the car in the garage this week...

No comments:

Post a Comment