Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Dashboard Finished and Other Small Tasks

Today had to be the day! And ended up being the best day I had with the car so far in these vacations! Spent almost 6 hours working on it plus around 1 hour to go out fetch my prop catchers that were done ahead of schedule.

Working on the dash, added the missing hole for the high-beam switch. Then fitted the Digidash on the support I made. Turns out it wasn't bent as it should and the Digidash was "inside" the dashboard. Not pretty. Re-bent that and also adjusted some of the bolt holes that were slightly offset.
Then, positioned the dash on the scuttle and marked for bolts. Also marked inside for the bolts to hold the Digidash plate. Drilled it all and then bolted the parts together. Fitted the switches and all for the picture. The fan switch is not completely in since I had to take it to test the fan.
Now I need to either paint the bolts in black of find another way of making them less visible...

After this, I went to the car with just the ignition and fan switch. Took the fan out to "turn it around". I remember reading that it was possible to reassemble it to switch the direction of the blowing. But I misplaced the instructions. So, I took out the blade and turned it around. But that did nothing... So, and since after trial-fitting with the nosecone, it all fits, I moved the fan in front of the rad. (EDIT - 2012/09/16 - Switching it around just requires swapping the wires around. So on the 16th September I moved the fan behind the rad again)
Then I went around tightening the front brake fluid circuit. Since I had the spanners in my hand, also tightened the gear linkage, that was a bit wobbly.
Moved towards the rear of the car, spending a couple of minutes trial-fitting the firewall that I had trimmed. It now fits nicely and is ready to be drilled and riveted to the chassis. Although I'll only do that after I have the brakes correctly bled and the handbrake cable properly installed.

My final task of the day was to trial-fit the prop catchers so that I could see if any adjustments were needed. The parts are spot on. Just the holes they drilled (not on my drawings) are not where I need them to be, but no problem with that. The steel has a bit of surface rust, needs some scrubbing and paint. Couldn't properly trial-fit one of them (the one that loops around the prop) because I can't fit it under the floor without either disassembling the gear linkage (maybe) or dropping the prop. I'll worry about that sometime later...

No comments:

Post a Comment