Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Fan, Prop-catcher, Airbox and Dash

Steve from Aries had warn me that I should test the fan rotation before bolting it all final. It would probably be spinning the wrong direction. Took the fan switch and the ignition key with me. After connecting the battery and fitting the switch on the loom, switched the fan on. It is actually blowing towards the front instead of sucking towards the back. Will have to disassemble the fan and rotate the blade 180ยบ, as per instructions on the box. Didn't do it because I had taken no tools with me to the car. (EDIT 2012/09/16 - Making the fan work the other way around just takes switching the wires over...)
Also offered the cut firewall to the car to see how it goes. It requires some trimming.

Next was sketch up time! I've always intended to have prop-catchers fitted for added security. But these have to be custom made by someone that can work steel sheets. So, I sketched up three catchers. The two smaller ones will old the bigger rear prop, one just before the diff and the other near the reverse box. The "inverted U" shaped "catcher" is to fit on the small front prop, near the reverse box, protecting feet and ankles. It took me ages to draw these up!
Back home, went to the balcony to do some cutting and trimming. With the glorious weather, it's a lot better to work there than underground.

Spent some time trimming the firewall. I believe now it's ready to be fit. Will need to offer it up again to validate.

Then cut the new holes on the airbox. These got right at first attempt! I was speechless! For the airbox to be ready to fit on the car, I just need to seal up the old holes and to assemble it all!
Next cutting was on fibreglass, to get the holes for instruments on the dash. Only cut one hole and was so afraid to cut it too big that made it too small and then spent ages with a file tip on the dremmel trimming the hole for the switch to fit. But I hope the following ones will be a lot easier to do.
The switch was not pressed down completely because it would be a pain to take out afterwards. Not much done but since first step is always the hardest one, I was happy with what I accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment