Sunday, August 5, 2012

Preparing Prop-Catchers and Small Fixes

Last Wednesday drove the car again, to move it from the borrowed parking space to mine. It required driving down the step slope to descend two floors. I was a b it worried, since the brakes were not properly bleed, but all was fine. After parking I noticed a small puddle forming on the previously clean floor. Turns out the cooling system had a bracer that was not tight at all and fluid was gushing from it.

Today grabbed the driller, a steel scrub tip for the driller and the prop catchers. Scrubbed the rust out of them and then gave them a lick of black paint, to prepare them to go on the car. I need them there for peace of mind and the front one is where I'll be hanging the speed sensor.

Then went to the car and followed all the cooling pipes, tightening the bolts as I passed through them. Topped up the cooling deposit and I think this one is done.

Have been reading the Digidash manual and it states that if I get "NC" as the reading for a sensor it means is not connected or is not properly hearted. And actually the hearth I had on the oil temp/pressure sensors casing was bust. Crimped a new wire and this time connected it to a bolt that goes through a chassis member. There was a slight oil smear on the casing so I also tightened the sensors and the connection pipe. Also gave a bit of love to the earth on the water temperature sensor, but I think I'll have to revisit this one soon.

Inserted the key on the dash, 1st click for the Digidash to fire up and... No more NCs. With the engine turned off, the oil temperature was 23º, the oil pressure was 0 (probably... no oil being pumped and the remote sensor is positioned high) and the cooling temperature was 0º. Since it's summer, probably the cooling temp was a bit hotter, reassuring me that I'll have to revisit that sensor.

I need to make a catcher deposit for the pipes leaving the carbs and the fuel pump. The one from the fuel pump dribbles and the stains on the floor are getting on my nerves.

I wanted to drive again but had no excuse to do it, so I didn't and now I'm mad at myself for not having done it without an excuse. I need to get it on a track or a long straight!

No comments:

Post a Comment