Sunday, February 17, 2013

Suspension Setup - Feeling Dumb

Today's goal was to set up at least the rear suspension. Before taking the wheels out I checked the camber and it was -0,8 and -1,3 on the driver's and passenger's sides, respectively. Used a nifty app on my Android to measure it against the wheel. After jacking up the car and taking the wheels out, the camber was different (and positive) since the suspension did the full drop. I made the calculations and (I hope that I managed to) set up the correct amount on the passenger's side to have -0,8ยบ each side.

Then did lots of measurements to try to calculate the toe-in. Currently the rear has massive toe-in and the driver's side more than the passenger's side. But I couldn't make it with just the pen, paper and phone calculator that doesn't even do square roots. After much cursing and thinking, ended up storing the wheels away and left the car on axle stands on the rear, calling it a day. At home with a protractor and some scale drawings I'll manage it.

In between I recalled an old email from Steve from Aries where he advised me to have the washers on the base of the rear uprights all on one side (the front one, if I'm not mistaken). At the time I didn't pay much attention and placed them where it made easier to assemble the thing. Now I realize that it impacts castor and I'll eventually correct it when I get around to disassemble the uprights to fix the toe. That means I'll have to redo camber and after that re-check that toe is still correct. Sometimes cutting corners ends up giving a lot more work. And today I'm feeling pretty dumb with the math.

No comments:

Post a Comment