Thursday, April 13, 2017

Rear Shock, Fuel Filter (and Consumption) and More!

Objective: 

Had the day off work. Kids in school, wife at work, day for the car! Went shopping. Got a 3rd brake light (LED), electrical cable and black tape to install this. I will feel safer on the track if people can clearly see I'm braking. From another store also bought some pipes for air admission and braces. So, the list of tasks I want to do before the next track day are (M = mandatory, O = optional):

  • (M) Replace fuel filter, drain fuel and fill with only 98 again;
  • (M) Replace failed shock;
  • (M) Install 3rd brake light;
  • (O) Install air admission pipes;
  • (O) Wrap the exhaust in heat-shield cloth;
  • (O) Install the difusor;
  • (O) Align the steering column so that when I go straight the steering wheel is not at 90º.
Naturally I have other things I would like to do, like create a tunnel cover in black vinil with red pipping, to match the seats, and make the interior look nice. And make a boot floor to be able to store stuff on the boot.But those are long term projects, more important if I get the car road-legal that if it remains just a track toy.

After getting home, went to the garage and jacked the car up. Drained the fuel and replaced the filter. It was an easy job, just undoing 2 braces and doing them again, paying attention to the flow arrow on the filter. Picture of the new filter in place:
Took the chance to try to calculate the fuel consumption I had on the track this last weekend... I drained the tank before the track day and dumped 2 jerrycans, totalling 22 litres (it's a 10L thing but it can actually take 12l). On the afternoon of the track day added 10l and today I drained 8l (that I shoved on the tintop's tank). The odometer stated that I did 92km on this track day. This means it spent 24l in 92Km... 26l per 100Km. This is 11 miles per (imperial) gallon! Ouch!

Next task was replacing the shocks. Unbolted the top of the failed suspension. When I was taking the bolt out of the lower arm, noticed the bolt was hitting the rim. Had to loosen the rear wheel a bit to be able to take the bolt out.
Having it all out, separated the shock from the coil, moved the coil to the new shock, fitted it all back again, setting 5 clicks on the suspension (previously had 4, recommended by Steve; Phil's opinion differs and followed his) and raising the coil to the same height as in the right side. Phil advised me to change both shocks. As I was going to disassemble the right one I noticed I had put, back in 2011, the bolt in the opposite direction. I have already added an edit to that post... Having the bolt with the head towards the front of the car makes it hit the wheel hub or driveshaft assembly. I would have to undo everything just to take out the bolt... I gave up and decided not to change that shock, as it seems to be good. I guess that if later on I decide (or need) to do that side I'll just cut the bolt with an angle grinder and put a new bolt in, to avoid having to take it all apart...

Before calling it a day, tried offering the difusor to the car to see how it looked. It looks really cool! But installing the difusor will not be easy, not only because space is scarce under the car but also because it is too big to handle alone. I'll need one or two people to hold it in place at least until I bolt down two of the corners, under the seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment