Saturday, December 4, 2010

Filing Bushes and Proper Tools

Having the proper tools for the job makes a big difference. Started today's work by filing the bush tubes in the camber adjusters. I had started it before but it was taking a long time. Long story short, filling rubber and steel with a wood file and emery tip is not the way to do it... With my new steel file, and with help from the vice, it took a bit but it got done. After getting them to easily fit the upright, I reattached them to the upper suspension arms.
Then I made a new attempt to insert the wheel stud, using a hammer and the wood file. Placed the upright assembly on top of some wood, the file tip on the back of the stud and then hammered the top of the file. The stud got a bit more inside. It seems to be less than a third to go. Probably, with the WD40 that Steve recommended, it will get into place. I'm also leaving the remaining studs on the freezer for the night. I hope to have good news tomorrow.

I noticed, while hammering the stud, that the upright assembly was moving a bit. The flange was moving out a bit, since the nut on the tip of he inner c/v joint wasn't tightened enough. Tightening proved to be a challenge but doable in the end. Using a steel pipe, I locked the flange in place and tightened the nut enough for it to be near the flange. Steve said that the final tightening can only be done with the car on its wheels and someone pressing the brakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment