Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The First Rivets! (P-Clips for Brake Pipes)

After many weeks postponing this, I've been mentally preparing myself to drill and pop-rivet the car to hold the break pipes in place. So, today (holiday in Portugal) I had a couple of hours and went for this task. My main tools were my driller, a 90º angle for the driller, a 3,5mm drill bit and the rivet plier (the big one can't be used in these tight spaces).
After much thinking and measuring, ended up drilling the first hole the hard way, from behind, since I didn't have clearance due to the engine being on the car. Turns out that measuring several times paid out. And the first p-clip got applied on the rear brake pipe. It looks a bit odd from the backside, I thought it would be level but it protrudes... Oh, well...
With renewed confidence, I went for the front pipe. The next eight rivets were done in as much time as the first took. To note that I ended up re-routing slightly the front pipe near the suspension pick-up point to have it suspended for a smaller distance.

Next weekend I hope to finish up the front pipes, maybe start on the central tunnel for the rear one. But next couple of weeks will be drilling and pop-riveting. Drilling steel is a lot harder than what I'm used to, specially when using the 90º angle thing. It vibrates a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment