Thursday, December 2, 2010

Peddle Rubbers and More Studs

Wednesday had half-hour after dinner near the car for two quick jobs.

First one was to glue the two pieces of rubber that came with the peddle box on the clutch and brake peddles. It looks wonderful! I'll take a picture when I get the proper light there again. (picture taken and added on the 8th December 2010)
Second job was another attempt at pushing the wheel stud with the washers and wheel nut. This time I put a bit of lithium grease on the stud and the hole. I could still only get a third of the stud in.

After reading my previous post and thinking about it, it was clear I couldn't enlarge the hole otherwise I would be unable to tighten the wheel nut on the stub. Dumb me for even considering it...

So, I wrote an email to Steve to ask for advice. He replied the following morning stating that the ideal situation would have been for me to hammer them in before I assembled the flange on the upright. Since that was done, and taking it apart could damage the bearings (requiring new ones), I really had to go with the washers/tube and wheel nut. But he added that it could be easier to do it with the upright on the car, preventing the flange from spinning by putting a bar through 2 of the studs onto the floor.And using lots of WD40!

Let's see how it goes. I hope to fix with p-clips the brake and fuel lines this weekend so that I can finally start to assemble the rear axle.

No comments:

Post a Comment