Sunday, June 13, 2010

Car Specifications

When questioning for quotes, I had first to define the car specifications.

What I looked for was a "kit in a box" concept, that is, to receive all new or refurbished parts needed to be able to assemble the car and put it through legalization without having to go buy extra stuff (aside from tools).

Additionally, I wanted a bike engine for the low size (nice for Portuguese tax, based on cc and co2), high power, sequential gearbox and sound. If it's going to be a different car, let's have it as different as possible from the normal car! The main option was a Honda Fireblade engine (on carburettors) since it's powerful enough for a road car and cheap, yet fun and tested. As a bike engine has no reverse, I wanted a reverse box (not electrical), having MNR's one as the preferred choice.

I also wanted seat runners, so that we could adjust the seat for both me and my wife, and a windscreen (thinking about later on having a soft top) so that we could skip on the helmets. Later on I dropped the windscreen requirement to make it easier to legalize and to cut off some costs...

Parts aside, I also asked for a service to receive the built car, pre-test it, take it to legalization and deal with the paperwork so that I could fly to the UK and pick up the car street-legal. This is a precaution just in case I can't make it legal in Portugal.

It was with the above requirements that I spoke with companies at Stoneleigh. I also made clear that I was looking for a road car, not a track days car, and wanted it to be as budget as possible.

In the end, Aries Motorsport had the best offer and, after detailing the little bits (car, seats and seatbelts colour, etc.) I placed the order on the 2nd June for a Crimson coloured Aries Locoblade. I was given approximately 8 weeks delivery time with some slippage considering vacation season is starting.

Now I have to wait... ... ... Are we there yet? ... Are we there yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment