Tuesday, June 8, 2010

How it all started

In July 2007, while browsing the web, I found out by sheer luck that there was such a thing as "kit cars", cars to build at home. It was the Hawk HF3000, a Lancia Stratos replica. I started to dream about buying one and build it, because I love the Stratos since I was a kid assembling 1/43 scale models. Besides that, I had for long fancied knowing a bit about mechanics.

In August 2008 I was talking with a cousin about cars and found out he was scratch-building a Ferrari replica. He then told me about the Portuguese Locost mailing list and what was the locost idea. I got Ron Champion's book and read it.

On the beginning of 2009 I made a reality check and abandoned the Stratos idea since I couldn't afford it nor had the garage space for such a lengthy build. I started to consider more seriously the locost alternative. Initially with a scratch build based on the book, later on buying a kit from a vendor and assembling it.

The idea grew, I investigated kit vendors, I investigated licensing laws in Portugal, I thought about the different options I had for the car... And made the decision to start making things happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment