Sunday, October 17, 2010

Rear Uprights, Flanges and Suspension Arms

Today I managed to get 3h30m around the car. My longest stretch since my vacations ended. I'm a very happy builder today!

I started by preparing the flanges to be fitted on the hub carriers. It was mostly a cleaning job. Before I tried to fit a flange on a hub carrier, I tried to fit the studs on the flange. Ends up the studs don't go fully in and there is a gap. I believe that is not right, so I used emery cloth on the inside of the holes. It still wasn't enough... I'll have to look into it later. At least I checked that I can put the studs in after the flange is attached to the hub carrier...

... So I went to that step. Followed carefully the instructions Steve from Aries wrote me on the long and detailed email he sent me in September, when I asked about the wheel bearings. It was a really easy job. Used a bit the hammer and a kind of screwdriver to hammer softly the upper wheel bearing helping the flange to sit into place.
With both flanges inserted, I did the cleaning and preparing of the outer C/V joints. It took a bit but was another easy job.

Since Steve's email stated that I should fit the rear uprights on the chassis prior to fitting the outer CV joints, I moved on to that task. The bag with bolts, washers and nuts contained 2 shorter bolts that were marked with masking tape but without any label. Fortunately, it was easy to understand that they should go on the lower suspension arm, where if I fit a bigger bolt it would clash with the rear bulkhead. The task was looking pretty easy. One side of the car is now done (apart from tightening the nuts). The other side is almost done. One of the bolts doesn't slide through one of the mounting points. I guess I'll have to grind the hole a bit wider but it was already too late to go get the tools for the job. It will have to wait for another day.

All in all, I'm really happy with the progress I did!

EDIT - 2011-01-30 - Where I say that the two smaller bolts go on the rear wishbones, it's incorrect. They are for the front upper shock bracket. And should mate with smaller nuts that were also on the bag.

2 comments:

  1. to pull the studs all the way through get either a stack of washers or a bit of your bushing if you have any spare and put on studs.then place a wheel nut onto studs and as you tighten this will pull studs through.this is how steve told me to do it and it worked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for explaining how to do it! I'll do it that way, probably will use washers since I'm out of bushes.

    By the way, I think I know why you thought I had already assembled the shift mechanism. It's the reverse box that is already fitted that tricks the eye. Sorry :)

    ReplyDelete