Sunday, April 17, 2011

Measure Once, Drill Twice

Only had about one hour and a half this weekend and managed to make it a bad time.

Started nicely by tightening up the bolt and nut that hold the clutch cable on the peddle (that was only hand tightened before). That went well.

Next task was to file a bit the gear lever on the sides so that it would fit inside the tunnel walls. It took a bit, since I was doing it manually, but it got done.

Then I sat on the car pretending to be driving to set where I wanted to drill for the gear lever. Ends up I forgot to double check and use something to mark each position or test. The linkage that goes from the lever to the top of the pivot can be somehow adjusted in length. But only to some extent. After drilling both tunnel chassis tubes side to side with a 3,5mmØ and then enlarging them with a 6mmØ (that still has to be enlarged to 8mmØ), I made a test fit and noticed that I drilled 2cm too much to the front than what the linkage can be shortened...

Now, I have two options... Try to make it fir having the pivot stand not in a perpendicular form (if that works) or re-drill in another place.

I'm very mad at myself. It's not a visible mistake, since panels will cover up. But I feel I weakened the chassis and list (precious) time because I didn't pay enough attention to detail or the task at hand.

More to follow next weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment