Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Tightening Hubs

Spent an hour and a bit on the car. First swapped nuts from two bolts. There were 4 nuts with just 2 "cuts" on their faces, that were shorter than the others. Another builder told me last weekend they should be used on the upper shock mount bolts. Two were right (the front ones) and two were wrong (the back ones). Fixed that.

Then spent some time trying to hold the bottom pivot of the rear upright with pliers, protecting the thread with cardboard, so that I could undo the nut on the other side. Failed. I really need a proper tool, a vise grip I guess. Considering instead of spending on the tool to just take the pivot out and insert it the other way around, with the bigger part to the front of the car, since that way it will not rub on the inside of the wheel. But that's the easy (and lame) way out, I guess...


Last task was tightening the nuts on the front hubs that hold the ball joints and steering arms. The upper and lower ball joints were easy. The steering links I couldn't tighten. The threaded shaft rotates and I don't see how I can hold it in place...


Still unsure what I'll take as the next task, but it seems it can't be anything on the wheels unless it is something to solve my problems above.

No comments:

Post a Comment