Sunday, December 18, 2011

On The Floor!

Time to put the car on the floor, since I need that to bend the wing stays and then to, well, try to make it work and move around!

Fitted the wheels all round, hand-tightening the nuts. Then placed the jack in the front chassis, under the radiator. With it full up couldn't reach the chassis, so I placed some wood under and jacked the car up. Always careful not to get under the car (in case it suddenly fell), removed the stays and jacked it down. The rear was harder, since the suitable chassis rails were too high. So, jacked on the side and dropped the stay height one "hole". Jacked down, went to the other side, jacked up, dropped 2 "holes", jacked down, repeat to drop 2 holes, change side, repeat to remove stay, move side, remove stay. Now... my... arms... hurt...

Then went around tightening the wheel nuts, since now the wheels did not turn when more force was applied. Well... The car would start to roll a bit, but my boot under the wheel would make it stay put. Placed a couple of wood blocks under the rear wheels to hold the car in place, since it still does not have breaks. Need to take care of that soon...

The car is a bit lower than the Mazda MX5 currently sitting next to it... It will be fun!
Then I went for the steering wheel boss. Noticed I had forgotten the nut at home (I carried it to the hardware store to get the correct fitting for it's size, to be able to tighten it). But since the wires for the horn were not long enough to get inside the boss, spent some time (and wire) making extensions. I'm feeling a lot more confident working with the electrics now, which makes me very happy!

Next time will be following Steve's wonderful and detailed instructions on how to bend the wing stays so that I can then paint them, fit them on the car and after that close the break fluid circuit.

2 comments:

  1. Starting to look like a car... Great work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! I hope to get it started within the next month and rolling (inside the garage space) before the end of February...

    ReplyDelete