Friday, December 2, 2011

Riveting in Parts and The Wiring Work Begins!

Yesterday was a holiday and today I spent a vacation day to make a long weekend. This provided me with much needed car time! The first task of the day was to bolt the parts I fabricated on the chassis. Then bolt the coil packs to them. Bolting them to the chassis required some work with the drill because I needed the bolts to go on an angle different from the previously drilled ones, otherwise I couldn't put the nuts in place. In the end, it looks better than I thought, although it's not a great fabrication work. But it gets the job done!
Then I riveted the horn and engine oil gauge case in place. Both required enlarging the holes since I had drilled with the 4,75Ømm and the rivets were 4,9Ømm... Note on the pic the brace that holds the oil gauge's case: it has rubber to absorb the vibrations. The oil pressure sensor is very sensitive to vibrations and would collapse otherwise.
Following this, unpacked the radiator fan and took some time looking to it and the bits that come with it to hold it in place. Other people brace it to the chassis, a bit away from the radiator. I'm a bit afraid of doing that since air temp is a lot hotter here than in the UK. So I looked into getting the fan "bolted" to the radiator. For now, and since I don't know if the blade is spinning in the right direction or if I'll have to take it apart to switch, I just braced the fan with a pair of plastic wraps.
No more excuses to hold me back from crimping some terminals on the wires... That was the task I've been afraid of doing and been dragging my feet to delay. But no more!

Crimped spades on the radiator fan cable and connected it to the loom. Also connected the already crimped connectors from the loom on the brake light switch and on the horn. Then crimped the rev. counter loom wire and the matching wire that leaves the ignition control module. The wires from the fuel pump were also crimped but these will have to be redone. I believe I used too small terminals and I need to buy bigger ones, but I only understood that a while after crimping the thing.

There were a couple more wires I could have done but I need to buy more connectors. Since I knew nothing about this kind of electrics, I bought a box with some assorted connectors. Turns out they are mostly "red" (small) ones and I need "blues" of one type and "blacks" of another (wonder if these colours are the same in all western countries).
There are also a bunch of wires I don't know where to connect of switches I don't know which wire should take. Next week I expect to take the Friday as vacation again, by then I hope to know what to do. Might even get around to put the wheels on the car and get it on the floor!

No comments:

Post a Comment