Monday, December 24, 2012

First Tunnel Panel

The ebay shop replied to my email and accepted shipping to Portugal for a good price. So, last Friday, I received a package at work from Stop4Tools with my spare mandrels. Ordered 5, to be on the safe side.
Tested the new mandrel and applying a rivnut on a scrap of metal. This practice made me understand a lot better how much force to apply and how it works. This is what I should have done in the first place.

With that knowledge, I covered the tunnel chassis beams with tape, placed the panel on top, held it with clamps and marked on the tape all the holes that the panel had drilled. Then took the panel out and drilled all the marked holes with a 6mm drillbit. Last step was to put the rivnuts on the holes. Fitted the panel for the picture and then had to pack up.
It was not perfect, though... The rivnuts that came with the tool were OK. The ones I bought here were more fragile. Twice I applied a bit too much pressure and the mandrel sheared slightly the hole.
Another problem was that, although I was careful marking the drilling spots, a couple of holes were made a mm or two off-centred and now I'll have to enlarge the ally holes to be able to bolt on those holes.

No comments:

Post a Comment