Sunday, June 9, 2013

More Panel Trimming

Had some time to continue the work on the front section of the driver's side panel. Finished the cut for the exhaust pipe. Took the panel to the car for a test fit and it did not go as I hoped. I thought I could put the panel in without taking the exhaust headers from the engine. Unfortunately, when I slide the panel passing the exhaust headers through the hole, it hits the chassis and does not fit.

Took the headers off and then did a test fit without them. Noticed that an additional part of the lip must come out otherwise I can't fit and remove the panel using rivnuts. Anyway, to validate the hole, tried fitting the header through the hole to get it in place and I couldn't. It hit the steering column and I couldn't twist it into place.

Took the panel (and exhaust headers) back to the storage room (where I've been working the past sessions). Cut the extra bit on the lip and filed away the whole to make the curves nicer and give a bit more room on one corner. Left it there, will test fit again next time. Hopefully, will only need some small filing.

No comments:

Post a Comment