Sunday, June 2, 2013

Driver's Side Outer Panel Cutting

Today just worked with the dremmel and cutting disks. Actually also used a small electric saw for a bit, but shouldn't have...

So, first drew a line on the driver's side panel to mark where to cut. Idea is to separate the rear 2/3's from the front third. The rear gets riveted in place, the front will be held with rivnuts to allow easier access to oil filter, brake cylinders, etc.
Doing the whole straight line with the dremmel was going to take forever. So, after cutting the tips, used the electric saw. Problem is that I can't actually cut a straight line with that and it notices a bit. I filed the parts a bit to hide the small waves but it's not as good as it would have been with only the dremmel. I wonder how much it will be noticeable on the car. Anyway, in retrospect, I shouldn't have used the saw.

Offered the front part to the car to check where I had to cut the upper lip due to the engine cradle anchor points. After trimming those two spots down (just with the dremmel), moved on to the exhaust hole. Transferred the template I did last week and started cutting. This time using just the dremmel. But I did not have enough time to finish the cut. More next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment