Sunday, May 26, 2013

Templating for Exhaust and New Rivets Plier

During the week went to the shop where I left my broken big rivet plier waiting to see if I had any warranty on it. Since the importer has closed, they did not manage to contact anyone for that and I came back home with the broken thing. Anyway, it was replaced with the lazytongs one. On the shop ended up buying a new small one to do the rivets under the car.

Looking at the picture, it doesn't seem too different from my old one. On the top is the cheappo garbage, below the new one. When not compressed, the new one opens a lot more. And it actually pulls a 4.8 rivet in just 3 pumps! The price difference was negligible and this is another example that going only for cheap tools seldom pays off. Putting the 11 rivets on the passenger's side was a breeze.
Then I checked where to cut the driver's side panel to split the part to rivet and the part to hold with rivnuts. Last task was making a template to know where to cut the hole for the exhaust to pass through the panel. Picture shows the template loosely held, since I had already removed it when I thought about taking a picture for the blog.
Next session(s) will be with the dremmel and cutting disks working on the panel.
Scheduling will now become even more infrequent, the baby was born a week and a half ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment