Monday, January 2, 2017

Undoing Carburetor Changes for IVA - Part II

Objective:

Went back to the car, taking advantage of the last vacation day. Tightened the "wrong screws" I undid the last time and applied some more force. But the carbs didn't even move. That was when I had an inspired moment... The guys on the videos have driven their bikes recently. My engine was standing for over 6 months. The rubber connections must be so dry that they stuck! Lovely WD40 sprayed on the rubber connections, wait a few minutes, apply a bit of force and...
With the carbs away, I could reach where I needed. Then it was a matter of unbolting the pipes with the vacuum taps and covering the holes with the proper bolts. For future memory, don't know why, the pipe in cylinder #2 had 2 washers while all others had just one. After this, turned the carburators upside down and, from a tighten position, undid the pilot screws (the ones right below the chambers) 2 and a half turns. These pilot screws, as they are named on the Haynes book, have other names on the "street": pilot / slow running / idle mixture screws. After this was done, it was just the tedious job of reassembling the carbs on the block and the choke.
Since I still had some time left, I fitted the caps on the break fluid reservoirs. For some odd reason, they couldn't be in during IVA. Probably I should have placed the caps as soon as the car was back. Although the garage isn't moist, the fluid may have been slightly compromised, but well...
Caps in and I had to try this all out. Battery in, started the car, it worked and after warming up was good on idle (until warm I had to play a bit with choke). If it is started and warm... And there I went around the parking floors like a kid in a merry-go-round for a couple of "laps"! It is ready for the 12th!

No comments:

Post a Comment