Saturday, June 11, 2011

Front Brake Calipers, Reading and Roll Bar

Went for nearly a month without touching the car. A small vacation to celebrate wedding anniversary, extra work, yearly tax form filling and studying for a "test" prevented me from working on it. Today, my wife offered me the hole day with the car. Since it was a "no-kid" day, I ended up sleeping late and making a long lunch with the wife, so not that many hours in overalls... But happy!

Spent some time trying to push the caliper pistons back so that they would fit. In the end, managed to do it with one of the holding tools I bought for ally panel time. The best of it was that I didn't even had to disassemble the caliper that I had previously done.
After assembling the second caliper, fitted them on the car. That included fitting a "crescent moon" shaped piece where the flexible brake pipe holds to. From there to the caliper, goes a rigid copper pipe. The purpose of these parts is to prevent the flexible pipe from fouling on moving parts, which would happen if it was to fit on the caliper directly. The pads move a bit on the pins and sometimes move to a point where they touch the disk when I'm rotating the wheel. Wonder if I did something wrong or if I'm missing something...
Placed the L-shaped ally panel on the car, fitted the upper steering column piece and then drew on the ally panel where to cut for the column to go through. Didn't get around to do the cutting, though, so I did not take any pictures of that.

Following task was with the Haynes CBR 900 Workshop Manual in hand, figuring out what was each part of the engine and where I should connect the water and fuel pipes. All pipes Steve sent were labeled stating were they should connect. I do know what is the radiator upper and lower but there were other things I didn't know. Also realized that what I thought was the throttle connection point is the choke. I didn't feel confident enough to fit the water pipes so postponed that task.

Time to fit the roll bar. Steve from Aries had told me that I should use some straps and a piece of wood to sprung the roll bar to the chassis and that this task was best done by two people. Initially I didn't understand what he meant but when I tried to fit the roll bar alone I got it. The wife came to the rescue and after a bit the roll bar was in place.
Spent some time drilling holes to place the bolts that hold the roll bar in place. Happily I used the good 8mmØ drill bit which made the task easy. Nonetheless, I managed to make holes slightly misaligned and one so close to a corner that I can't fit the nut inside... So next time I'll have to re-drill or enlarge (oval shape) a few holes to be able to finish the task. I'm not happy about it but I can't figure out what I did wrong this time to miss the drilling spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment