Sunday, July 22, 2012

Driver's Seat and Failed 1st Drive Attempt

Started by bolting in the hooking points for the driver's seat belt (4-point harness). The lower ones go on nuts welded on the chassis. The one on the inside needed a washer to make space since when bolting in it would hit the diff cradle. The outside one does not hit anything and will be covered by body panels. Bolts need to be in a position such as the round part is "in line with the force direction".
The upper bolts were also easy to bolt in. When I started on the outside one was a bit worried I was going to have to take the rollbar out, but it was not needed.
Then I had to drill for the car seat. Driver's seat was a lot easier because of the adjusting rails. I pulled the seat to the back of the rails and placed it on the car, making it be as near the firewall as possible. Placed some tape on the front under the rails and used a pencil to mark where the holes were. Out comes the seat, 4,75mmØ followed by 8mmØ to enlarge and the seat is back but with bolts on the front. Slid the seat to the front as much as possible and this uncovered the rails' rear holes. More tape, pencil, seat out, driller and it was done. Some vacuum cleaning and the seat was in and fully bolted on the floor. I wish the passenger's seat had been as easy!
Sat on the seat and adjusted the seat belts and seat to my size. Then packed everything up and went home to get the car keys.

Back with the keys and the wife to film what could have been the first drive. The car wouldn't start, starter engine was spinning but I couldn't hear the fuel pump clacking and the engine didn't even cough as when it's burning fuel but not starting.
I believe I wired the ignition barrel incorrectly since the starter engine fired up on 1st key click (instead of 2nd). Additionally, the Digidash in the beginning lighted up and then stopped doing so. So I also may have a bad earth or I blew a fuse. It is also possible that I'm too low on fuel... In the middle of all this I managed to disconnect the idle screw from the carbs, which will be a pain to fit again without taking the carbs out...

Next "work session" will be spent trying to figure out what the electrics problem is because I really want to drive the car around a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment