Sunday, July 8, 2012

New Tool, Firewall Done and Starting Seats

Took the broken rivet pliers to the shop. The shop does not give warranty on manual tools. The importer has gone bankrupt so they are trying to find if there is a new importer to find out if there is some factory warranty.
This was blocking my build. So, while I wait for a warranty or fix estimate, looked around for lazy tongue pliers (what I should have bought in the first place) and found a proper one for what I believe is a nice price.
This morning used the tool to pop all the firewall rivets. Drilled one extra hole to rivet above the tunnel. It was actually quite fast although it requires more strength than youtube videos had led me to believe. Also, when the rivet pops the tool sometimes escapes and I made 3 or 4 marks on the ally wall. Nice that my plan was to cover it later on... Anyway, not that it will be visible with the seats in place.


Next plan was to add the seats. Started with the "co-pilot" seat. Steve from Aries tough me a trick of the trade: put 4 bolts on the seat holes, put some copper grease on their heads and put the seat on the car. Drill where the copper grease marked the centres and then just bolt. Easier said than done... I moved the seat slightly after putting it on the car, smearing a bit the copper markings. Measured twice and drilled. But two holes ended up misaligned by a millimetre or two. I was already late for lunch so had to drop the task to be continued on another day.


After drilling on the floor but before trying to bolt the seat still had to vacuum clean the floor where the seat would lay and also bolt the hooking points for the harnesses. Also hooked the lower harness points to the bolts. Left all that on the car.


Unfortunately, my phone misbehaved and refused to take pictures. Next time I hope to have some with the seat fully mounted and the harness bolts for the driver's seat.


One thing I'm considering is to make a list of tasks and order them. During my vacations in May I made the list and it seemed to make me more productive. Also, by planning in advance for several sessions, I knew what materials I missed and was able to buy them (almost) all at once. I think I'm a bit obsessed with driving the car on the garage, but after that I really need to get more organized before taking the car on a track.

No comments:

Post a Comment