Sunday, July 21, 2013

Getting the Car to Run

I needed to confirm that the car would run, to know if I could move it Monday night. First task was to really get it running. Placed the full battery and connected it. Bolted down the driver's seat (which was a pain, now that I have the external panels getting in the way). Sat down and cranked the engine. First attempt, failed. Rested a bit, second attempt. Hand on the exhaust, I could feel some blobs of air coming out. It was trying... Rested some more, third attempt and it started running!

Left it idling and took a walk around the car looking for leaks and other problems. There was some smoke coming from where the headers bolted to the engine, I wondered if it was the exhaust paste cooking or some leaks. In the end, it was just the paste. The idle was a bit high, at 4.000 rpm, so I got it down to 1.900rpm. Checked the cooling level and all was good.

Turned the engine off, bolted the passenger's seat down and then the headlights. I don't have bullet wire terminals, so butchered a temporary job just to get them working. Tested standing, dip and main and all worked, although probably not pointing exactly in the right directions... The car was ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment