Friday, May 2, 2014

Rear of the Car

Took a vacation day and spent some hours on the car. Main task was to work the rear fibreglass part.

Spent some hours trimming it to fit correctly on the car. Had to trim near the rollbar stays, to clear the shocks behind the wheels and for the tow hook to clear on the rear. It was time consuming so that it would look well, but it was worth it.

Then I marked where the fuel filled should go. Using the cork seal of the filler cap as template, marked the rear to be drilled. Using the circular cutting adapter on the drill, cut the circle. Since the tool is not precise, I left a bit of a margin. Spent some extra time with the sanding head on the dremmel triming it so that the filler cap would fit the hole. The final result is on the pictures below.
Then I looked into the other two things that must go on that part: fog light and license plate light. Regarding the fog light, this must be on the road side of the car. That means on the left side in Portugal but on the right side in the UK. Since I want to get the car road-legal in the UK, I need to comply with those rules. But I want to drive the car here with safety. I was wondering what to do and ended up sending an email to Steve at Aries. He replied saying the light had to be on the centre or the right but advising for me to put it on the right and later move it to the left and put the reversing light (that the car was not going to have) on the right, using the same holes. This sounds like a great idea, so it's what I'll be doing next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment