Sunday, May 6, 2012

Bleeding Brakes - 1st Attempt

Today I enlisted my father, that was visiting for a small lunch/dinner party, and got him to help me with bleeding the brakes. It was a good opportunity for us two talk a bit while I was trying to have brakes on the car.

Filled the rear reservoir with some DOT4 fluid. Then I opened the rear right (remember this is a LHD car) bleed nipple on the calliper and he pressed the peddle 4 times. While holding down I closed the nipple. Nothing happened and the fluid didn't go down much. After some more attempts, I asked him to press and release some 20 times in a row. Something started to happen...

I was told not to tighten the junctions on the copper pipes too tight otherwise there was the risk that the flared tips would get mangled and the pipes would drip oil. I just hand-tightened. Turns out that was not enough. There was oil dripping everywhere! I went around tightening all the rear junctions and filled the reservoir again. Now it started to work better. Fluid came out the pipe I had on the bleed nipple first with lots of air, then just small bubbles. Had to go fill up the reservoir loads of times. And I believe that sometimes it went empty and air went in again... 3 peddle presses seems to be enough between refills.

After doing the left rear wheel, I cleaned around and we packed to go home. I made a mess in the garage floor. Also, the breaks aren't OK yet. I can spin the rear wheels by hand (the car is jacked up) and when the peddle is pressed it offers resistance but I can still spin the wheels.

I'll have to tighten the front junctions and get a better funnel to fill the reservoirs (can't reach the front one with current funnel). Then will have to go around doing this all over again. Might also cut the hose I put on the bleed nipple shorter and get it inside a smaller jar with liquid, to prevent air re-entering through there.

On a final note, tried to start the car to show my father. Starter engine was going but the car would not start. Not sure but have a feeling my fiddling with the throttle cable made it too insensitive and now it does not work right. May have to drill an intermediate hole, between the other two...

No comments:

Post a Comment