Thursday, May 17, 2012

Bleeding Brakes - 2nd Attempt

Before going for my main task of the day, grabbed some Araldite and glued the small ally plates I previously made on the old holes of the airbox. It takes 12 hours to dry, so I placed some "crocodile"-style clamps pressing the plates and left it to dry. Took care to ensure the way the glue was distributed would seal off the holes.

Went to the car with the recently acquired tool to bleed without assistance. The packaging is bad (in French and the Portuguese translation is wrong - "Bleed only the brakes" instead of "Bleed the bakes alone"), it was cheap and that should have made me suspect it was bad quality.
It is very easy to use. Pass the black malleable pipe over the bleed nipple and then tighten it up passing the hard plastic restrainer. The restrainer broke on the 1st time I passed it over the nipple's bump... The other end is a valve that does not let air in. Place it inside a jar to hold lost oil and just pump the peddle.

What a mess this is!!! I placed pieces of cardboard under the master cylinders to catch some dripping. There was dripping! And also from the bleed nipple, since the restraining plastic was broken. And on the front some joints were not tight enough and leaked a bit too... In the end, the floor was a mess, my hands and jumpers suit a mess....

Anyway.... I first worked again the rear brakes. We tried doing them last time but the brakes were not working properly, so had to be redone. First the rear right wheel, then the rear left wheel. Was very careful always topping up the master cylinder reservoir.
Then I worked the front wheels, first the right one, then the left. In the beginning I was not getting any fluid on the "vizibleed". Had to pump several times with a fast pace (instead of slow peddle pumping I was using) to get the fluid on the bleeding nipple. Then could revert to slow pumping.
I was pumping the peddle with my hand (due to a small knee injury done earlier) and it became stiffer and stiffer, so it might have worked OK. But I can't test this alone, will have to wait for the weekend to go with the wife to the garage and get her driving and braking while I push the car around.

2 comments:

  1. Please don't use a speed bleeder!! Years ago a friend used one at a track day, second lap he lost his brakes and the car ended up on its roof. Make things even more of a problem he had four point harness, but no roll bar in the car. Lucky for him as he was going over he had time to get our of the harness and lay across the passenger seat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary story! Ouch...
      Thank you for the warning. I'll use the car a few times slowly before speeding.
      Anyway, I'm not sure if the brakes are ready to be used... I'm not confident with yesterday's bleeding. I'm betting I have leaks on the pipe joins and that there is still some air in the circuit. Let's see how it goes when we go test it on the garage.

      Delete