Monday, May 7, 2012

Marking Dash and Airbox for Cutting

Using the template for the steering column I taped a while back, I started to mark the dash for cutting. The idea is to have a rectangular cut for the steering column (instead of just a hole). It might not look as good, but it will make it a lot easier to adjust the column and to take out the dash. Then, to have the Digidash on the centre and the buttons bellow. The ignition key will go behind the wheel, to avoid problems with projections.

Except for the ignition key, all is now marked (the ignition barrel is on the car and I was working at home). I like to make big fails, so I'm considering cutting out the panel to have the Digidash inlaid, just like the buttons. That will require some holding plate on the back (will probably do it on ally) that will have to be riveted or glued on the dash. I believe it will look better than with the Digidash protruding in all it's 3cm height...
Next stop was the airbox. Due to the engine cradle, I can't turn the airbox around because the intake pipes hit a cradle's member. So I have to find another way. I saw a picture of a similar box that was changed to have the pipes in a different position to make it easier to get cold hair from a bonnet scoop.

So I dismantled the airbox and pulled out the pipes. They are just fit with some rubber seals. My box additionally had some product that might help the seal. Then I marked the box where the two pipes will be fitted. I'll also have to put some plastic or ally covering the old holes, being sure that it's an air-tight seal.
Next time, it's cutting time! Or maybe I'll just postpone it again and go work on something else...

No comments:

Post a Comment