Thursday, September 2, 2010

Brakes and LHD specificities

Steve from Aries replied to me in the early hours of the day. We exchanged a couple of emails and I got all the information I needed. Steve even included some pictures to show me details on the brake bias assembly and how the throttle peddle is mounted.

So, the throttle peddle is mounted on the top, it's something to be done a lot later. But it explains why it didn't fit on the floor...

For the bush tubes, the solution is lots of copper grease. I don't have it, so I'll have to go shopping tomorrow.

The 2 thingies are called circlips and go on the sides of the bearing, in the groves. Nice! Steve warned me to put lots of grease on the moving parts too. Having grease is now a blocking issue.

Due to his explanations about the brake bias assembly and what is on the peddle box instruction sheet, a new question arose. The master cylinders should go, on a Right Hand Drive car, 0,75 on the inside and 0,625 on the outside, for rear and front brakes, respectively. And the longest thread on the break bias to the outside (right). I'm building a Left Hand Drive car... Should I mirror all instructions or assemble cyls and bar as in RHD and cross the brake pipes so that the outside goes to the back and the inside to the front? The right answer is to make it all equal and cross the pipes. Otherwise, the longest thread on the brake bias bar would have to point towards the clutch and would hit it. This was a very important information for me, since I was going to mirror it all!

While we were swapping emails, and since I didn't have copper grease, I cut the threads on the master cylinders. Used a mini-hacksaw that should be used on wood... It took me 30m to cut the threaded bit. And 30m for the other cyl. And then some more to file the tip so that the threads look nice and don't break the inside of the parts they will screw into.

After that, I opened the sealant can and installed it on the appropriate pistol. I used the sealant on all places where the steel floor or foot well panel are welded to the chassis. Maybe I'm overdoing it, since this is an open car... But I want it to be as sealed as possible.

I hope I can get my hands on copper grease tomorrow...

4 comments:

  1. very nice.i am also building a blade from aries.have you got any pics of how you fitted the gear linkage?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Daveboy!
    Thank you for your comment.
    I haven't assembled the gear linkage yet. Actually, it is still inside one of the boxes, I looked at it yesterday because the clutch cable is on the same box. I'm sorry if I can't help much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry thought that you had already fitted it as in one of your pics it looks like the gear linkage is in.good luck with your build,will keep checking in to see how you are doing

    ReplyDelete
  4. The chassis has the engine and the MNR reverse box in. Unfortunately, it will take some time until I put the linkage in, specially because my vacations are over and now my car-time is greatly reduced.
    Thank you for reading the blog :)

    ReplyDelete