Sunday, September 19, 2010

Rear Upright Assembly (the start)

Today I planned to assemble all the rear part (minus break stuff). So I laid the inner hub, rear upright, hub carrier and outer hub. (The inner and outer hub are sometimes also referenced as rear stub axle and flange, it seems).


I first bolted the hub carriers to the rear uprights. It didn't take long to get it done.

But when I was looking into the rest, I understood something was missing there. The inner and outer hub join through the hub carrier hole, in a tight fit. But they are expected to rotate. So, some bearings should go there to help it. The box that has all the rear parts contains two wheel bearing kits, but I'm not sure how to assemble them, so I'll write to Steve.

Since I was unpacking, I went looking for the lobro joints. Also found them...
Later back home I read that the driveshafts are held inside the lobro joints with the help of circlips. So now I know what's the purpose of some circlips tapped to one of the driveshatfs.

Since I have identified the CV joints, I believe that, when I understand how to deal with the wheel bearings, I'll have all I need to assemble the rear axle (minus the breaks). I have set as a goal to have it all assembled and in the car, including breaks and suspension, by the middle of November. Looking a bit tight...

No comments:

Post a Comment